Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Applying for Residency on the Common Application

When you fill out the Common Application, you'll see in our "Member Questions" section that we ask you to fill out some information regarding your residency:

If you answer "yes" to the question "Do you believe you may qualify for in-state tuition?", then we'll ask you to provide further details about your residency (for instance, when you got your driver's license, if you've filed state taxes, and whether you're registered to vote). You'll also be asked to answer these questions for one of your parents. These questions help us determine your residency, so that we know whether or not to consider you a NC resident.

If you've applied to us before or if you're a counselor, you'll notice that this section is new. We're now asking all students who believe they qualify for in-state tuition to provide this information with their application. It's helpful for us to have this information up-front, rather than asking students to fill out long residency applications after they've applied. We're trying to keep things simple, for students and for us!

Below are a few of the common questions we're hearing about this section of the Common App:

How do I know if I qualify for in-state tuition? 
Residency classification is complicated, and each case is considered on an individual basis. Generally, a student whose domicile has been in North Carolina for at least 12 months prior to the term they enroll is considered an in-state student. To learn more about how we determine residency, go to Ask Admissions and type in "residency".

Which parent should I choose to provide residency information for? 
If both parents live in NC, you may choose either one. If your parents don't live together but share custody of you, choose a parent that lives in NC. If someone other than a parent has legal guardianship of you, fill out the information for that person (but if one or both of your parents have legal guardianship, you should provide information for a parent).

I'm not a U.S. citizen, but I live in North Carolina. Is there additional information I need to submit? 
Depending on your visa status, you may still qualify for in-state residency. If you're not a U.S. citizen, we'll ask you to fill out a supplemental residency form and provide documentation of your legal status in the U.S. (i.e., your Permanent Resident card or visa status). After you apply, we'll request this information by listing it on your To-Do List in MyCarolina, but you're welcome to be proactive and send us this information at the same time you submit your application.

Other questions? Please leave a comment below!