Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Transfer Credit Now Awarded for Military Leadership Training

An ROTC student on Polk Place.
Photo by Dan Sears, UNC-Chapel Hill
If you've served in the military and taken leadership training, you may be eligible for transfer credit when you enroll at Carolina. In an effort to better serve the men and women who have served our country in the military, the University is now able to award some transfer credit for educational training completed while enlisted.

We've traditionally awarded credit for the LFIT (physical fitness) requirement to students who have previously served in the military, but now additional credit is available to students who completed certain leadership courses. A full listing of the transfer equivalencies is available here. Credit is available for courses in our departments of Aerospace Studies, Military Science, and Naval Science.

To have the credit awarded, be sure we receive an official military (ACE, AARTS or SMARTS) transcript listing the completed coursework. If you're a current student, you can email us at unchelp@admissions.unc.edu to request the credit be awarded. If you're a new student (enrolling in Fall 2013 or later), we'll award the credit automatically so long as we receive the official transcript.

To learn more about resources to help veterans transition to life at Carolina, visit our Information for Veterans page. And please let us know if you have any questions.