Saturday, February 23, 2013

Interested in Service Abroad? Apply for the Global Gap Year Fellowship by March 14!

Today we welcome a guest post from junior Ananda Day, Co-leader of GAPPL.
 
Hi! My name is Ananda Day, and I’m a junior Public Policy major originally from Montana and most recently from Raleigh, N.C. Carolina has helped me grow in ways I could never have imagined, from the wonderful people to the extraordinary academic opportunities. What has helped me make the most of my college experience, however, was my gap year, and I’d like to tell you about it.

During my senior year in high school, I first considered taking a year off because I was exhausted after all my college applications. I loved learning, but I wanted a chance to understand by doing, to be at some of the places I was always taught about instead of just hearing about them. So I traveled to Senegal, where I worked for a nonprofit organization and also taught English. I created conservation plans flowing from my environmental studies, and ended up with a French vocabulary that allows me to speak about turtles and public health for hours on end! Four years later, my year in Senegal has touched every part of who I am, from academics to what food I eat.

For the third year in a row, the Campus Y, GAPPL (the UNC student gap year advocacy group), and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions are proud to offer the Global Gap Year Fellowship, which will award several first-year students admitted from the first deadline up to $7,500 for an international, service-based gap year before their first year at Carolina. UNC staff will help you plan your service project and keep in touch during the year. GAPPL helps returning gap year students catalyze new-found potential and make a smooth transition to college and leadership opportunities. Please note that the fellowship is open to any admitted Early Action student.

Consider applying for this once-in-a-lifetime fellowship by Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 5 p.m. Taking a gap year will allow you to join an important movement of students who are re-thinking the way we structure college and higher education. It will be one of the most transformative and wonderful years of your life. Click here to learn more and to apply for the Global Gap Year Fellowship.

We wish you the best as you complete your final year of high school. If you have any questions about the Global Gap Year Fellowship, we encourage you to check out our FAQs or email us.

--Ananda