Thursday, February 21, 2013

Meet Brian Woodard

Next up in our new staff introductions is Brian Woodard.  
Welcome Brian!

Title: Carolina Student Transfer Excellence Program (C-STEP) Representative
Hometown: Snow Camp, NC
Alma Mater: Carolina (bachelor’s and master’s)
Number of years at Carolina: A little more than five years (two as an undergraduate, two as a Carolina College Advising Corps member, one as a graduate student, and five months with C-STEP)
Area(s) of specialty in the office: Counseling and guiding prospective transfer students through the C-Step Admissions process
Why I love my job: C-STEP and Carolina transformed me from a student with ideas and concepts into someone who could create my own opinions. It turned me into a leader. When I came to this university as a transfer student, I had never dreamed of creating a club, being a mentor, or working with high school students upon graduation, but with the assistance of the C-STEP program, Carolina transformed me into a better individual. At Carolina, everyone works together to make the world a better place. After graduating from Carolina, I can truly say that I left the university a better place than it was when I arrived, and I can also say that the university placed me in a better position than I was in beforehand – for this I am grateful. Now as an employee, I love helping students achieve their dreams. Removing obstacles, motivating students, and providing support are all reasons why I love my job.
If I didn’t work in admissions, I would be: Working as a counselor for middle or high school students
If I were a fictional character, I would be: Jefferson Smith from “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington”
Favorite ice cream flavor: Rocky Road
Favorite song to sing when I’m in the car by myself: “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey, “Lose Yourself” by Eminem, or “Hotel California” by The Eagles