Monday, April 23, 2012

Transfer Credit and Advising FAQs

Today is an exciting day at Carolina, as we prepare for President Obama's visit. This is President Obama's first visit to our campus as president, and we're proud to welcome him to Carolina.

As promised, we're posting a list of FAQs regarding transfer credit. We're also partnering with the Academic Advising Program to answer your questions on advising. If you have comments or questions, please post them here for Kyle Brazile, Senior Assistant Director of Admissions for Enrollment and Sarah Nelson, Senior Academic Advisor from the Academic Advising Program.

How will my credits transfer?

You may transfer a maximum of 75 semester hours from a four-year school and 64 semester hours from a two-year school. In general, you will be awarded credit for an academic course with a grade of a C or better from an accredited institution if Carolina has a similarly equivalent course. Please note that college algebra, engineering, architecture, agricultural and other technical courses do not transfer. Additionally, professional school courses such as business, journalism, education and nursing rarely transfer. For more, please see the Transfer Credit Guide.

How will the courses that I've transferred fulfill Carolina's curriculum and my degree requirements?
The Transfer Equivalencies database maintained by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions may provide initial information about how courses may transfer to UNC-CH. After the admissions office has confirmed how a student's credits will transfer to Carolina, the following resources will be helpful to see how the transferred courses will fit into Carolina's curriculum and individual degree requirements.

The Undergraduate Bulletin provides complete information about degree requirements, all majors and minors available at Carolina, course descriptions, and information about policies and procedures at Carolina.

Academic Worksheets, which provide a one page synopsis of degree requirements, are available on the Advising website. A worksheet is available for all majors. The student can use the worksheet and the information in the Bulletin to tentatively determine how their transferred credits may be used.

Departmental websites offer additional helpful information. Academic advisors in the Academic Advising Program will assist admitted students regarding the completion of degree requirements. In the meantime, please visit the Advising website to learn more about the curriculum and academic options.

How do I find the abbreviations for the courses listed in the undergraduate bulletin? You can find the abbreviations for the courses listed in the Undergraduate Bulletin under the Table of Contents. The Table of Contents in the undergraduate bulletin will let you know on what page(s) the course abbreviations are listed.

What if I don’t get into a professional school program I applied for… do I have to reapply for the College of Arts & Sciences?
No. you will not have to reapply to the College of Arts & Sciences. Your enrollment will continue if you are not accepted into a professional school program.

What if I went to both a 2-year school and a 4-year school? Is my cap 64 or 75 credit hours?
If a student takes courses from a combination of a two-year and four-year institution, the maximum number of transferable hours will be determined by the most recent institution attended. Moreover, if the last institution a student attended is two-year then the student can only transfer a maximum of 64 hours, while if the most recent institution was a four-year then the student can transfer a maximum of 75 hours

Do dual enrollment courses count towards my transferrable hours?

I would like to have my courses re-evaluated. What is the process?
After you have received your credit evaluation, you can fill out the re-evaluation form located on our website. Along with the form, be sure to have copies of the course description and syllabus of the class you wish to have re-evaluated. Once you submit your request, you should receive a decision by email within 30 days.

There are some errors with my credit evaluation. What do I need to do to have them corrected? You can email the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at or call the office at (919) 966-3621.

I need to register for classes. When will I receive my evaluation? You will receive your credit evaluation through email shortly after you receive your admit decision.

Do military courses transfer?
Professional school courses such as business, journalism, education and nursing or credits earned during active-duty military service rarely transfer.

How can I get a copy of my transfer credit evaluation? While we do not send paper copies of transfer evaluations, the Admissions Office will email your transfer credit evaluation to you. You can request a copy of your evaluation by emailing

Do AP credits count towards my transferrable hours?
Yes. Once you have enrolled at Carolina and we have received official reports for AP or IB tests, we will award credit based on individual departmental requirements.

Will my credit evaluation be complete before I go to orientation? Credit evaluations are completed once you have been admitted. Your evaluation should be complete by the time you go to orientation. If not, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

A Special Note to Admitted Transfer Students from the Academic Advising Program:

Congratulations on your offer of admission. Please visit the Academic Advising Program website to read the Transfer Student Advising Guide. It's accessible under the “Important Links” in the left-hand sidebar on the program's homepage. Once you confirm your intent to enroll, you’ll be able to register for fall courses and schedule an appointment with your advisor. Enrolling students will receive a welcome letter via email from Academic Advising very soon.

We encourage enrolling transfer students to make an appointment beginning as soon as late April (the sooner the better). The office requires that all appointments are made online. Click here to make an appointment. These appointments can be handled over the phone or via Skype for students who do not live nearby. Please note that you need to have an ONYEN to make an appointment. Also, we encourage students to begin enrolling in classes right away—even if it’s before their appointment.

Remember to RSVP to the May 4 Academic Advising Program’s transfer student welcome reception at the Academic Advising Program website. This is a great chance to meet your future classmates and get in touch with campus resources in an informal setting. Please note that this is a social event, and you will still need to make an individual appointment with an academic advisor and register to attend a transfer orientation session.

How is class standing computed for enrolling students?
This is calculated automatically in our system based upon hours toward graduation earned. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors must have earned 30, 60, or 90 hours respectively to attain this status.

We hope you that you will take the time to become familiar with the Academic Advising Program and all of their resources. You may follow Advising on Twitter @UNCAdvising and Facebook