Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Get to Know Admissions

Song of the Day: “Video Killed the Radio Star,” The Buggles

Everyone knows big, bad, evil UNC admissions, right? Well, now you get to see their big, bad, evil, smiling (… wait, what?) faces. That’s right. I’m Will Rimer, a senior at UNC. (No, I don’t have a job, and no I don’t know what I’m going to do for the rest of my life. I know what I want to do, but I haven’t met Emma Watson or Anna Kendrick yet, so we’ll see about that. PS-If you haven’t seen Pitch Perfect, kindly go to your nearest overpriced movie theater and watch it. Then come back and finish this.)

Right, about me. Well, I’m also a social media intern in the admissions office. I started all the way back in August. When I walked into Jackson Hall for the first time (yup, I’d never been inside the all-powerful Office of Undergraduate Admissions (did you read “all-powerful Office of Undergraduate Admissions” in the fear-inducing tone I intended you to read it in? No? Well, do it over again)), you know what I found? People. Real human beings actually work in admissions. And you know what? They’re actually pretty normal human beings too.

They’re just like us. They have names and are from all over the map and have lived in all kinds of places, like Chicago, Los Angeles and Belgium (wait a minute… Belgium)!

I think this video I put together by interviewing some admissions counselors will prove to you that they’re not as evil as you might think. They’re here to help, and they’re approachable. Just some of them after they’ve had their morning coffee.

I hope you enjoy it and let me know what questions you want to ask them. (If you don’t enjoy it, you will enjoy Pitch Perfect. It’s great. Have I told you that?)