Thursday, October 18, 2012

Meet Melody Levy

Next up in our new staff introductions is Melody Levy. Welcome Melody!

Title: Assistant Director
Hometown: This is a tough question…I have lived in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area since 2000, but previously I lived in upstate New York for 10 years. Before that, I moved a lot because my dad was in the military. I have made North Carolina my home, and my parents have since moved to Macon GA so that's my second home.
Alma Mater: UNC-Chapel Hill (bachelor’s in political science and African-American studies; master’s in education)
Time at Carolina: 12 years (six as a student; six as an employee)

Area of specialty in the office: I am the director of the Admissions Ambassadors program, which is our troop of 130 student volunteers who lead campus tours, sit on recruitment event panels, host visitors, and represent the best of Carolina!

Why I love my job: I get to serve my alma mater and work with incredible Carolina students (to recruit more incredible students to Carolina)!

Why I believe you should apply to Carolina: To be one of the incredible students I mentioned above. Carolina offers an outstanding academic experience at an affordable cost. Plus, our students make an indelible mark while enrolled and after graduation. Our students arrive well-rounded and leave more equipped and prepared to tackle their careers or graduate/professional school. This is what you can look forward to and the legacy that you can be a part of!

When out on recruiting trips, I like to: Live in the moment, enjoy the place I am visiting, and help students gather the information necessary to make the best decision about their educational journey.

If I didn't work in admissions, I would be: Creating children's books! I've actually self-published two titles already.

If I were a fictional character, I would be: A Marvel Comics super-heroine!
Favorite ice cream flavor: Strawberry cheesecake (and many others)
Favorite song to sing when I’m in the car by myself: Anything upbeat and/or uplifting that I know the words to