Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Meet Jen Kolb

Next up in our new staff introductions is Jen Kolb. Welcome Jen!


Title: Assistant Director
Hometown:
Framingham, MA
Alma Mater(s):
Harvard College (bachelor’s) and Carolina (master’s)
Number of years at Carolina:
Two and a half years (two years as a graduate student and six months as an employee)
Area(s) of specialty in the office: I'm on the Visit Team, so I'll responsible for welcoming students to campus as they visit us to learn about all that Carolina has to offer.
Why I love my job: I'm so excited to be joining the Admissions Office because doing so means I'll have the opportunity to help promote access to one of the best universities in the country to some of the brightest and most motivated students in the country.
Why I believe you should apply to Carolina: At Carolina you'll receive a world-class education that rivals that of any Ivy League school. You'll be a member of a friendly, collaborative and humble student body. You'll be situated on a beautiful campus in a region of the country known for its gorgeous weather, intellectual capital (the research triangle region has the highest percentage of Ph.D.s in the country), eclectic music and art scene, college sports rivalries, and much more! And, you get all of this at a cost that makes Carolina the best value in the country.
If I didn’t work in admissions, I would be:
A college soccer coach or the owner of a bakery.
If I were a fictional character, I would be: Pippi Longstocking because she’s fun, carefree, adventurous, loves sugar and is super strong! For those of you who don’t know who Pippi is, Hermione Granger is a close second.
Favorite ice cream flavor: This is easy. My favorite ice cream shop back in Boston has a flavor called Cookie Monster. It’s vanilla ice cream packed with oreos and cookie dough – my two favorite flavors combined into one!
Favorite song to sing when I’m in the car by myself: I love singing songs from musicals. My favorites include Moulin Rouge, Les Miserables, Mamma Mia, Wicked, and anything Disney!