Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Discover Your Passions at Carolina

Carolina students go on to do some pretty amazing things after spending four years with us. Next up in our short series of senior stories is Symone...

My name is Symone, and I’m a Carolina Covenant Scholar from Durham, NC double majoring in sociology and African American studies. When I came to Carolina four years ago, I was 100% sure that I wanted to be a nurse. It wasn’t until my sophomore year that I realized my passions lay elsewhere.

Through the liberal arts foundation that Carolina provides, I was able to explore a variety of subjects, which is how I discovered my interest in sociology. After taking a course entitled “Blacks in North Carolina,” I added African American studies as my second major. I finally felt as though I had found my way academically, but I still didn’t know what I wanted to do after graduation.

I decided to reach out to one of my professors, Geeta Kapur, because I greatly admired the passion she had for her legal work and the excitement she brought to it. That was probably one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. She encouraged me to take time to reflect and think about what motivated and inspired me. Thanks to Professor Kapur, I was able to define my passion, which is to provide underprivileged children with the resources and opportunities that will transform their outlook and enhance their future.

Armed with this new purpose, I began researching opportunities that aligned with my goals. As soon as I found the Carolina College Advising Corps, I knew that it was the perfect organization for me. I’m so honored to begin working as a college advisor this fall and to help low-income, first-generation, and underrepresented high school students pursue higher education!


Have a question for Symone? Post a comment below.