Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What a Carolina Degree Can Do For You

Carolina students go on to do some pretty amazing things after spending four years with us. Over the next two weeks, we'll share some of their stories with you. First up is Kahlil...

My name is Kahlil, and I’m a senior from New Carrollton, MD studying economics and political science. During my nearly four years at Carolina, I’ve been able to grow and carve out my niche through the extracurricular and academic opportunities I’ve explored.

As a Pogue Scholar, I studied abroad in Santiago, Chile, which was one of the best things I’ve ever done. It broadened my worldview and gave me real-world experience to accompany my Spanish minor. My involvement in organizations such as Phi Beta Kappa, Ebony Readers Onyx Theater, and Carolina Language Partnership exposed me to diverse students who challenged and strengthened my beliefs and opinions.

Although I came to Carolina to study political science, I quickly fell in love with economics because it caused me to think in a different way and consider the logical motivations for every action. Professor Ralph Byrns was the first person to explain economics to me, and he used personal experiences to make the topics relatable. The quality of education I’ve received at Carolina and the experience I’ve gained helped me earn admission into the School of Business at Wake Forest University, where I was awarded a Corporate Fellowship to complete my master’s degree in management.

I’m excited that you’re considering Carolina and sincerely hope that you’ll join our community in the fall. 


Have a question for Kahlil? Post a comment below.