Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Meet Laurie Hogan

Laurie Hogan
Title: Admissions Counselor
Where I'm Traveling: Central North Carolina (Stokes, Forsyth, Davie, Davidson, Rowan, Rockingham, Guilford, Randolph, Caswell, Alamance, Person, Orange, Durham, Granville, Vance, Franklin, Warren and Wake counties)
# of years at UNC: 4 (Carolina student!) + 1 (Student Affairs) + 1 (Admissions)
Hometown: High Point, NC
Area of specialty in office: I work with students daily to solve problems and answer their questions, so I know a little bit about everything, but I mostly work with recruitment and the awarding of transfer credit. Also, if you need to know something about campus, a department, or student organization, I'm a walking Carolina encyclopedia.

If I weren’t an admissions counselor, I would be a press secretary for a governor or senator, a Government/U.S. History teacher, or I’d open a bakery.

My favorite thing about Carolina is McCorkle Place, the upper quad that is home to the oldest buildings on campus, the Old Well and the Davie Poplar. It’s shady and quiet, filled with history. It reminds me that being a Tar Heel means I’m connected to past students, who have walked the same pathways as me since 1795.

If I could be an undergraduate all over again, studying at Carolina, I would major in Journalism and Political Science again, because they are excellent majors. But I'd also consider American Studies, Biomedical Engineering, Dentistry, Education, Health Policy & Administration or Music.

The best question I’ve ever gotten at a college fair was, "If I go to Carolina, can I be a crocodile hunter like Steve Irwin?"

Laurie is heading out across North Carolina this week for some college fairs, and she'll be blogging from the road. So check back to hear her stories, and submit your own questions for her! --Julie